Get Open Records/Video | Tulsa Police Department (2024)

How do I request a record by mail under the Oklahoma Open Records Act?

Completethis formand mail to:

Records Custodian
Tulsa Police Records
P.O. Box 1027
Tulsa, OK 74103

For questions or concerns call (918) 596-9286.

The Records Section of the Information and Technical Services Division operates under procedures that are in compliance with Title 51 of the Oklahoma State Statutes, Subsection 24, also known as the Oklahoma Open Records Act. This statute details which records law enforcement agencies shall make available for public inspection if kept. Mayor's Executive Order 95-04, issued by Mayor Susan Savage, states that all departments within the City of Tulsa will comply with the Oklahoma Open Records Act.

In relation to records other than video, the Open Records Act states, in part, that law enforcement agencies shall make available:
  1. An arrestee description, including the name, date of birth, address, race, sex, physical description, and occupation of the arrestee;

  2. Facts concerning the arrest, including the cause of arrest and the name of the arresting officer;

  3. Conviction information, including the name of any person convicted of a criminal offense;

  4. Disposition of all warrants, including orders signed by a judge of any court commanding a law enforcement officer to arrest a particular person;

  5. A chronological list of incidents, including initial offense report information showing the offense, date, time, general location, officer, and a brief summary of what occurred;

  6. A crime summary, including a departmental summary of crimes reported and public calls for service by classification or nature and number;

  7. Radio logs, including a chronological listing of the calls, dispatched; and

  8. Jail registers, including jail blotter data or jail booking information recorded on persons at the time of incarceration showing the name of each prisoner with the date and cause of his commitment, the authority committing him, whether committed for a criminal offense, a description of his person, and the date or manner of his discharge or escape.

  9. Audio and video recordings from recording equipment attached to law enforcement vehicles or associated audio recordings from recording equipment on the person of a law enforcement officer; provided, the law enforcement agency may, before releasing any audio or video recording provided for in this paragraph, redact or obscure specific portions of the recording…

  10. Audio and video recordings from recording equipment attached to the person of a law enforcement officer [that depict certain types of events which also may include redactions as stated in the Open Records Act].

The Oklahoma Open Records Actalso states, in paragraph B(1) of Subsection 24A.8:

"Except for the records listed in subsection A (above) of this section and those made open by other state or local laws, law enforcement agencies may deny access to law enforcement records except where a court finds that the public interest or the interest of an individual outweighs the reason for denial." Further, the ORA states in paragraph C that, “Nothing contained in this section imposes any new recordkeeping requirements.” As such, if a requested record does not already exist, the Records Section does not create a new record to comply with the request and will notify you that no such record exists.

Mayor's Executive Order 95-4 states: "Record production requests must be precise enough to identify with reasonable certainty exactly what document is requested. Generalized or blanket requests will not be honored."

Arrestee information and facts concerning the arrest can be found on the Arrest and Booking Data Sheet. In order to obtain this record, the requestor must provide the name of the individual arrested and the approximate date of arrest (within a few days of the actual date of arrest).

The Records Section does not typically maintain conviction information. The most up-to-date and accurate source for conviction information is the court of record. In Tulsa County conviction information for state felonies and misdemeanors can be obtained from the Tulsa County District Court Clerks' Office or by going to the court record online at Conviction information on municipal misdemeanors can be obtained from the City of Tulsa Municipal Court Clerk's Office.

The disposition of warrants can be obtained through the court issuing the warrant. Copies of outstanding warrants can be obtained through the Records Section, however, because they are on file in a physically separate location, processing requests for these records can take longer than other record.

A chronological list of incidents does not exist in written form. Generalized requests for data, such as the number of drunk driving arrests, the number of accidents at an intersection, or the number of burglaries in a geographic area can only be obtained by running a search of the computer database. Requests of this nature should be directed in writing to the Chief of Police. The requestor will have to pay a research fee to obtain this information.

The department prepares a monthly report listing a summary of crimes reported by crime type. This report also contains summary information about the number of people arrested by crime type. This information can be obtained from the Records Section.

Radio logs are maintained by Public Safety Communications, a separate department within the City of Tulsa.

The Records Section maintains a copy of the jail blotter for thirty (30) days. Older copies of the jail blotter can be obtained from the City of Tulsa Municipal Court Clerks Office.


The fees charged for report copies are authorized by either the Oklahoma Open Records Act, the Mayor's Executive Order, or City Ordinance. City ordinance 19224 authorizes the Tulsa Police Department to charge a fee of $3.00 for a copy of a police record of ten pages or less. It also authorizes a fee of $1.00 a page for each page over ten pages. This city ordinance states that an individual identified as the victim of a criminal offense in the police record, or a pedestrian, an occupant, or an owner whose property was directly involved in a traffic collision report may receive one free copy. The Mayors Executive Order lists fees for documents not listed specifically on the ordinance. This fee is $0.25 per page for a copy. Other charges are authorized by the Mayor which are the costs to reproduce items such as pictures, videotapes, or computer programs.


Title 10A Article 1 Chapter 6 & Article 2 Chapter 6 of the Oklahoma State Statutes is known as the Oklahoma Juvenile Code. Paragraph A states: "Except as provided by this section or as otherwise specifically provided by state or federal laws, the following juvenile records are confidential and shall not be open to the general public, inspected, or their contents disclosed." The list of confidential records includes law enforcement records. Therefore, the Records Section is unable to release any record on a juvenile, including arrest records or reports in which the victim was a juvenile. These records cannot be released to the juvenile or his parents or guardian. Title 10 does specifically state that records of traffic violations are not considered confidential.

All standard criminal or civil subpoenas for testimony can be emailed to the Tulsa Police Department Chief’s Office at

All subpoenas for records (subpoena duces tecum) must be hand delivered or sent certified mail, restricted delivery, to the City Clerk’s Office at City Hall (175 E 2nd St. / 918-596-7313).

*Any subpoena delivered to the Chief’s Office requesting records will be denied. Any subpoena duces tecum requesting testimony from a TPD employee will be denied.

The department does have the right to contest a subpoena. After a subpoena has been reviewed and approved, it will be forwarded to a clerk who will obtain the subpoenaed materials. The clerk will then contact the individual requesting the subpoenaed materials and advise the requestor of the cost of the records.

For more detailed information, please refer to our guide to obtaining documents and testimony from the Tulsa Police Department.

For additional information on City Open Records, see the City’s main website at

Get Open Records/Video | Tulsa Police Department (2024)


How do I request open records in Tulsa OK? ›

Open Record Requests: Excluding documents or records specifically prepared for public distribution by any City department or City public body, all requests for City public records shall be in writing, either in letter form or utilizing a standardized open records request form furnished by the City.

What is the Open Records Act in Oklahoma? ›

Navigating the Oklahoma Open Records Act

According to the act, anyone may request public records and no statement of purpose is required. However, reasonable fees may be charged for document collection.

How do you make an open records request in Oklahoma? ›

Open Records Requests may be made directly in person or otherwise to the applicable county office or department. In addition, for convenience, several county offices and departments will accept Open Records Requests online via this Oklahoma County website.

How do I report a stolen car in Tulsa OK? ›

Please ensure your pop-up blocking software is turned off before filing your report. Stolen Vehicles and Missing Person/Runaway reports will not be accepted on this form. Call 918-596-9222 and have an officer sent to your location.

How do I get my police records in Oklahoma? ›

The OSBI conducts name-based criminal history searches for the public pursuant to the Oklahoma Open Records Act. OSBI's Criminal History Information Request Portal (CHIRP) gives members of the public the ability to request and retrieve this information online.

How to get open records from Catoosa county Sheriff's Office? ›

The sheriff's office can provide you with an open records request form that will need to be filled out completely and given to the personnel. You will need to provide any and all information that will help the secretaries pull your request. All open records requests will be answered within three business days.

What is the Sunshine law in Oklahoma? ›

According to the Oklahoma Open Records Act, anyone may request public records and no statement of purpose is required. However, if the purpose is commercial, fees will be charged for document collection. There is no restriction on the use of records and the law does not specify a time limit for responses to requests.

Is it illegal to secretly record someone in Oklahoma? ›

It is a crime in Oklahoma to record a conversation without the consent of at least one of the parties engaging in that exchange. This principle is known as the “one-party consent” rule. However, you may record as long as you are one of the parties involved in the conversation.

What are considered public records in Oklahoma? ›

Generally, all records maintained by Oklahoma government agencies are available to the public, with some exceptions. Below are the most commonly requested types of public records in Oklahoma: Criminal Records. Court Records.

Are 911 calls public record in Oklahoma? ›

911 tapes are public records under the Act. 51 O.S. § 24A.

How do I seal my record in Oklahoma? ›

How Do I Apply for Expungement?
  1. Go to the court in the county where you were charged.
  2. Ask the clerk for a petition to expunge.
  3. Complete the petition to file it with the court.
  4. Pay the filing fee.
  5. Get a hearing date from the court clerk.

How to obtain medical records in Oklahoma? ›

Getting Medical Records in Oklahoma

There is a standard form you can give your medical providers to release your records. While you do have access to your own records, you may need to pay a fee for copies. It is possible you will be charged fifty cents per page.

What is the statute for stolen cars in Oklahoma? ›

Any person in this state who shall steal an aircraft, automobile or other automotive driven vehicle, construction equipment or farm equipment, shall be guilty of a felony, and upon conviction shall be punished by imprisonment in the custody of the Department of Corrections for a term not exceeding five (5) years if the ...

Can I report my car stolen if my ex-boyfriend took it? ›

If the police will not assist you in getting the car back, you may want to consider having the person you bought the car from call the police and tell them that it is stolen. This may be the easiest way to get the car back so you can get it registered in your name.

What are quiet hours in Tulsa? ›

Generally, sound (music) levels should not exceed 90 decibels 15 feet from the source. Depending upon any neighborhood complaints, the sound levels may have to be lowered between 11 p.m. and 7 a.m. Information on City of Tulsa Ordinances is available online.

Does Oklahoma have public records? ›

Open or public records specifically associated with the Oklahoma Employment Security Commission may be requested pursuant to the Oklahoma Open Records Act. This act is a series of laws designed to guarantee that the public has access to public records of governmental bodies in Oklahoma.

How do I find local public records? ›

Requests for public records must be made to individual County departments, agencies, commissions and committees. If you are unable to identify the appropriate department and need assistance, the Office of Countywide Communications, can direct you to the appropriate department, agency, commission or committee.

How do I file an open record request in Kansas? ›

You can obtain access to KDADS public records by contacting the Freedom of Information Officer at 800-432-3535 to determine if the record you need exists or is available. You will be asked to submit your request in writing. Please be as specific as possible in describing the public records you want.

How do you make a public records request in Indiana? ›

You can request to view or make copies of records online, in writing, in person, or by telephone. Some agencies will require you to send requests in a specific format. You can contact an agency to ask them how they prefer to receive a records request.


Top Articles
Latest Posts
Article information

Author: Roderick King

Last Updated:

Views: 6483

Rating: 4 / 5 (51 voted)

Reviews: 82% of readers found this page helpful

Author information

Name: Roderick King

Birthday: 1997-10-09

Address: 3782 Madge Knoll, East Dudley, MA 63913

Phone: +2521695290067

Job: Customer Sales Coordinator

Hobby: Gunsmithing, Embroidery, Parkour, Kitesurfing, Rock climbing, Sand art, Beekeeping

Introduction: My name is Roderick King, I am a cute, splendid, excited, perfect, gentle, funny, vivacious person who loves writing and wants to share my knowledge and understanding with you.